Spinach in Puff Pastry
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 extra large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon dry breadcrumbs (plain or seasoned)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, defrosted overnight int he refrigerator
- 1 extra large egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 375*F.
- Saute onions in butter over medium low heat for 5 to 7 minutes until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Meanwhile, squeeze most of the water out of the spinach and place it in a bowl.
- Add the onion mixture, scallions, Gruyere, Parmesan, eggs, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and pinenuts.
- Mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry and place it on the paper.
- Spread the spinach mixture in the middle of the pastry, leaving a 1 inch border.
- Brush the border with the egg wash.
- Roll out the second piece of puff pastry on a floured board until it's an inch larger in each direction.
- Place the second sheet of pastry over the spinach and seal the edges, crimping them with a fork.
- Brush the top with egg wash, but don't let it drip down the sides or the pastry won't rise.
- Make three smallslits in the pastry, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the pastry is lightly browned.
- Transfer to a cutting board and serve hot!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!