Spinach, Ham and Potato Au Gratin
A delicious casserole that has a surprise spinach layer in addition to the traditional ham and potatoes. All baked in a delicious cheesy sauce.
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 2 cups cooked ham, cut into thin strips
- 1 (24 ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- For the cheese sauce; in a saucepan melt butter or margarine; stir in flour.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until bubbly; cook 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and mustard; set aside.
- Place half of the ham strips in an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Top with half of the hash browns and half of the cheese sauce.
- Spoon the spinach on top of the cheese sauce.
- Repeat layers of the remaining ham, potatoes and sauce.
- Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes or until heated through.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Mmmm, this was creamy goodness! Right off the bat, I've got to say that I had no spinach in the house. We thought it was just fine without the spinach. I added a couple little things here and there: finely chopped shallots in the butter (before adding the flour to make the roux), and for the milk I used a combo of cream, chicken broth and milk. I added chives and Tabasco, and salt and pepper to the casserole. I was happy to find this great entree because I had no eggs or sour cream, and many other ham casseroles called for those. This one is a winner!2Reply