- Ready In:
- 16 cups water
- kosher salt
- 2 1⁄2 lbs spinach, stemmed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only sliced
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb red potatoes, sliced
- 1 bouquet garni, made with bay leaf and thyme and parsley
- 1 pinch saffron
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices bread, thick slices, toasted and rubbed with garlic
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 T salt and the spinach. Blanch just until wilted, less than a minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the spinach to a bowl of cold water. Let sit for a couple of minutes, drain, and squeeze out the water. Chop coarsely and set aside. Measure out 6 c of the cooking water and set aside.
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat and add the leeks. Cook, stirring often, until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes, and add the garlic. Cook, stirring, for another minute or so, until fragrant.
- Add the spinach and stir together for a few seconds, then add the potatoes, the 6 c reserved blanching water, and the bouquet garni. Bring to a boil and crumble in the saffron.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Taste and adjust salt. Add pepper. Discard the bouquet garni.
- Have the soup at a bare simmer. One by one, break each egg into a teacup, then tip into the soup. Poach the eggs for 4-5 minutes, until just set.
- Place a crouton in each bowl and, using a slotted spoon, scoop out a poached egg and place it on top. Ladle the soup into the bowls. Sprinkle on the cheese and drizzle on a little olive oil. Serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
When I was little, I wanted to grow up to be a chef. I grew up to be a doctor instead, but I still love to cook and eat! I especially love recipes that make use of fresh vegetables. <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">