Spinach, Bacon & Mushroom Salad
The evening before our oldest son was born, I made a big bowl of this--a friend had told me that spinach was full of Vitamin K, which was supposed to help with nosebleeds (which I'd been having). Even though my water had already broke, I went ahead and ate supper--figuring a first baby would take its time showing up. And I was right---it was almost exactly 24 hours later before he was born. The following year, we had this for his birthday dinner (along with Spaghetti Alla Carbonara--which was "leftovers" for supper the night before he was born). That started a family tradition, so when each of our children was born, we made a note of our dinner menu--so their birthday dinners are very special!
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 4 -8 cups spinach
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar or 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- hard-boiled egg, chopped (optional)
- radish, sliced (optional)
- mushroom, sliced (optional)
- In a heavy skillet, fry bacon; crumble & set aside; reserve 2 T. drippings.
- While bacon is frying, mix greens with onion in a large serving bowl.
- To drippings in skillet, add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring constantly to bring up the fond.
- Drizzle dressing over greens in bowl; toss gently.
- Garnish with eggs, radishes, and mushrooms.
- Serve immediately.