Spinach and Feta Cheese Soup
- Ready In:
- 50 g butter
- 1 bunch spinach, washed and stalks removed
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 5 g garlic
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch origanum
- 50 g flour
- ground pepper
- 100 g feta cheese
- 100 ml cream (optional) or 100 ml plain low-fat yogurt (optional)
- Roughly chop the spinach.
- Warm the chicken stock.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the garlic.
- Add the spinach and gently fry with a lid on for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the flour and mix well.
- Add the chicken stock stirring at all times.
- Add the origanum and nutmeg.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the feta cheese, salt and pepper.
- After Feta has melted, stir in cream or low fat yoghurt (optional).
- Liquidize soup for a smooth creamy finish. Serve with a twirl of cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a soup lovers delight! I made as posted using cream, but I am sure it would be just as good using yogurt or half and half. I thought the spinach looked very appealing as it was so didn't liquidize, although I am sure doing so would make for a lovely creamy soup. Tasting as wonderful as it did I will give liquidizing a go next time around! Thank you for sharing - this has been added to my favorites.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My home is in the Copperbelt province of Zambia. This country is situated in the southern part of Africa. I have two favourite books - Pat Chapman's '250 Favourite curries and accompaniments' and the Complete Middle East Cookbook. My pet hate is food without salt.