Spinach and Chickpeas With Couscous
I saw this in "500 (Practically) Fat-Free One-Pot Recipes" cookbook from the library. I haven't tried it yet.
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 6 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups canned chick-peas, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup couscous, uncooked
- Heat 1/4 cup broth in a large saucepan. Add onion, garlic and curry powder and saute until onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add remaining broth and spinach. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and black pepper, continue simmering until spinach is tender and chickpeas are heated through.
- Pour boiling water over couscous, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Divide couscous among bowls.
- Serve spinach-chickpea mixture over couscous.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I thought this was really good, I made as written and the spinach and chickpeas part of it was almost like a soup which I wasn't expecting but I thought it was good. I stored the leftover couscous and spinach mixture together and the couscous soaked up a lot of the liquid. Easy, healthy and tasty recipe. Thanks!
We both really enjoyed this. I served it as a side to lamb chops and decided the 2 cups of liquid in the spinach mix looked too much, so reduced that to just one-I think it was perfect. IOur lamb chops were mint flavoured and the couscous curryish, so I made a yogurt and mint sauce to go over all. That was also good-otherwise I think a good squeeze of lemon would be good over it.