Spicy Vegan Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 40mins
2 Medium Pizzas
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup Crystal hot sauce or 1/2 cup Frank's red hot sauce
- 2 Morningstar Farms Original Chik Patties
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, slices
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 6 slices vegan cheese (I suggest smoked provolone flavor) or 1 cup daiya cheddar cheese
- pickled jalapeno pepper, slices
- vegan ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing
- Add warm water, sugar and yeast to a stainless steel mixing bowl. Mix everything together and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, you should see small bubbles on the surface of the solution indicating that the yeast is now activated and burping CO2.
- Attach the flat beater attachment to your mixer and begin mixing the solution on low. Slowly add 1 cup of flour, the salt and the olive oil. Add the additional 2 cups of flour one half cup at a time -- When the dough begins to shape, switch to the dough fork attachment.
- After the dough ball has formed, use the dough fork to kneed the dough on low for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, grease a stainless steel bowl with Non-Stick cooking spray and add the dough. Allow the dough ball to sit, in a warm place, covered with a piece of plastic wrap or a damp tea towel, for 1 hour. This will give the dough a chance to proof.
- After the dough has risen, place it on a clean counter that has been dusted with 1/4 cup of flour. Proceed to PUNCH the dough 10 - 15 times to deflate it slightly.
- Cut the dough in half and form each piece back into a ball and place it back into a greased bowl and allow it to sit, covered, for an additional 1 hour.
- Using the final 1/4 cup of flour, dust a counter top and place onto it one of the dough balls. Punch the dough down and form it into a flat round. It is suggested that you use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough out into a 12 inch circle. Work the dough from on side and then rotate it 90 degrees and work it again. Do this until you have a thin circle.
- Dust your pizza peel with a coating of corn meal. Place your pizza dough on to making sure that the corn meal prevents the dough from sticking.
- Once the crust has been placed on the peel apply a light coating of non-stick spray to the top of the pizza dough. This will prevent the dough from absorbing the sauce and will allow it to get crispy (I learned this trick working in a couple of pizza shops). Top your pizza dough with just over 1/4 cup of hot sauce, spreading it around with the back end of a spoon. The hot sauce will evaporate a little in the oven, so make sure that you aren't skimpy with it.
- Top the pizza in the following order: salt and pepper to taste, garlic powder, vegan cheese and sliced red onion (and optional peppers). Lastly take your thawed vegan chicken breasts and cube them and toss them in the left over hot sauce. Take them and spread them all over the top of your pizza and pour the reaming sauce on as well. Apply any additional sauce if you would like.
- Dust your pizza stone with a light coating of corn meal. Slide the pizza onto your pizza stone in a preheated 500 degree Fahrenheit oven. After 7 minutes rotate the pizza 180 degrees.
- Pull the pizza out of the oven when the crust is browned and the cheese is melted.
- Allow the pizza to cool for 5 minutes and ENJOY!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!