Spicy Tuscan Ciabatta
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 10mins
- 1 loaf ciabatta, rectangular shaped about 12 x 6 inches (can substitute a crusty Italian or French loaf, but I do not recommend using sour dough)
- 1⁄4 lb genoa salami, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb hot sopressata, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb imported prosciutto, sliced paper thin
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 lb provolone cheese, sliced
- 4 ounces mixed greens
- 3 ounces roasted red peppers, chopped and well drained
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Slice the ciabatta loaf lengthwise.
- Prepare the sandwich by evenly layering the ingredients in this order, from the bottom up: Bottom slice of bread, drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, mixed greens, salami, provolone, roasted red peppers, sopressata, prosciutto, balsamic vinegar, top of loaf.
- Be sure each layer goes right to the ends of the bread.
- It's even ok if they hang over a bit.
- Wrap sandwich tightly in plastic cling wrap with no openings.
- Place on counter and press down entire loaf with a heavy cast iron pan or a couple of large books.
- Let sit at least 4 hours to let the oil and vinegar mingle with the other layers.
- Remove plastic wrap and, using a very sharp bread knife, cut into 2" squares or triangles.
- Secure each slice with a toothpick and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Incredible. I made this with provolone cheese, prosciutto, leftover ham and salami. I let it sit in the fridge overnight with a plate over the top of it, and a gallon of milk pressing it down. The flavors are intensely perfect. I am sure this won't last long during our superbowl party. Thanks for sharing!
I couldn't find Ciabatta bread so used what my grocery store called "tuscan" bread instead. The only thing I didn't follow exactly was I added olive paste to the sandwich. The problem? The flavors did not meld and the sandwich was dry. It set in the fridge for 8 hours with a 24 pack of coke on top and I got a good "press" out of it. I'll try this again with a different bread.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Friend me on Facebook: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Rebekah Reid</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/badges.php" title="Make your own badge!" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Create Your Badge</a><a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP"><img src="http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1059979755.389.889814801.png" alt="Rebekah Reid" style="border: 0px;" /></a> Follow me on <a href="http://twitter.com/Becky_R">Twitter!</a> <a href="http://web.me.com/kozmic_blues">My Website!</a> <a href="http://beckystastyplanet.blogspot.com/">Food Blog!</a> <a href="http://gallery.mac.com/kozmic_blues">Photo Gallery!</a> Thanks for visiting my "About Me" page!! I'm Becky and I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I probably enjoy cooking more than almost anything...which is why I adore this site so much!! Nothing makes me more happy than to create a meal for family and friends to share together and ENJOY. <img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxVQnIIYIrpqKM:http://quakeragitator.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/autism_awareness_logo3.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AfhXhWEtLQYbVM:http://www.marriageequalityri.org/photos/shop.a1.jpg><img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:iSI4l3JhSOqKPM:http://marriagerights.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gay-pride-flag-738850.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:1J1-2O7PWW4c5M:http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mccorkhi/vegan.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/group07kiwi.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group02banana.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group12starfruit.jpg>