Spicy Sweet Potato and Bacon Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1hr 58mins
- 4 slices hearty white bread, torn into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced thin
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 5 scallions, sliced thin
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position; preheat oven to 425°.
- Pulse the bread, butter, and 1/2 cup cheese in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Cook the bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat.
- Cook the onion until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cayenne; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes, cream, buttermilk, and salt; decrease heat to med-low and cook, covered, until the potatoes are just tender, about 30 minutes.
- Off the heat, stir in the remaining 2 cups cheese, cooked bacon, and 4 of the scallions.
- Transfer the mixture to a 13 x 9 inch baking dish; top with the bread crumb mixture.
- Bake until the crumbs are golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes, then sprinkle with the remaining scallion.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!