Spicy Sausage Balls
photo by DianaEatingRichly
- Ready In:
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1 lb spicy bulk sausage (breakfast sausage...i use jimmy dean hot)
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine dry bisquick mix, raw sausage, and cheese in a large mixing bowl. (***mixture will be very dry -- so it's important to allow your sausage and cheese to come to room temperature before combining.).
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Form small balls (more like loose clumps)out of mixture, and line balls on baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 30 minutes until browned and crispy!
Love these sausage balls! Have to make them for my nephew for all special family gatherings. TIP: Mix bisquick and shredded cheese together in a bowl, put sausage in a separate bowl. Add 1/2 cup bisquick/cheese mixture to sausage bowl and mix until well blended. (Hands are your best tool of course.)<br/>Continue this process until all mixture and sausage is complete.
Love this recipe. Making a batch right now for Christmas 2018. Had no problem getting all the ingredients to meld into a dough. Secret is not to use pre-shredded bagged cheese. The commercial shredded cheese has an additive to keep the shreds from sticking together, which works against you in the making of this. Buy 1 lb whole block cheese and shred it in your food processor. Then kneed the dough until it all comes together. If you have baking mix and cheese that won't combine, place the loose material on top of your dough and fold it to the center, then continue to kneed.
I've been making these for years! They are one of my favorites. I usually use less bisquick. I think about 1 cup and I usually use Jimmy Dean hot or spicy sausage. I also make a dip using an egg yolk, dijon mustard some vinegar and sugar. I'll have to try to actually measure, I just add and mix until it "tastes right". Next time I make them I'll come back and post the measurements!