Spicy Rice "meat"balls
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Good to make ahead and freeze. I got this from somewhere, but I don't remember where. If this is your recipe, let me know and I'll be glad to credit you.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except wheat germ and vegetable oil.
- Chill mixture well, at least 1 hour in fridge.
- Shape mixture into meatballs and roll each in wheat germ to coat.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the meatballs in the oil for 8-10 minutes, turning carefully, until light golden brown.
- Drain meatballs on paper towels.
- Serve with whatever sauce you'd like.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This recipe was very similar to one in my betty crocker cook book. I used 1 cup brown rice cooked in 2 cups beef broth for the cooked rice. Next time I wouldn't roll the rice balls in wheat germ. The wheat germ has a strong flavor that I don't like. Maybe roll them in whole wheat flour or corn meal. I will be making this again. I think it's a good lower calorie alternative to meat balls.Reply