Spicy Red Rice With Chicken and Vegetables
Another dish that I discovered on another site, then tweaked to my taste preferences. For a dish that's not so spicy, reduce the amount of cayenne pepper and substitute plain or herbed diced tomatoes for the tomatoes with green chilies.
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 large red bell peppers, seeded, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon hot Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain white rice (I prefer Uncle Ben's)
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, lightly drained, reserving juice
- Heat oil in heavy large pot, over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken, bell peppers, onion, garlic and oregano to pot. Saute 5 minutes, then mix in paprika and cayenne pepper. Add rice and stir to coat.
- Mix in broth and tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Cover pot; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken and rice are tender and liquids are absorbed, adding more liquid (I use the reserved juice) by 1/4 cupfuls if dry, about 25 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made just half of the recipe & then cut the 'spicy' way, way down by using a lot less of the paprika & cayenne pepper! Also used a homemade chicken broth, but other than that . . . Resulted in A VERY TASTY CHICKEN DISH & one I'd be happy to make again! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]Reply