Spicy Pineapple Chicken
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A type of Thai sweet and sour chicken, with a hint of heat. Found this on A Taste of Thai web site and the the fish sauce and garlic chili pepper sauce can be bought online.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into crescents
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground coarse black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 lb sugar snap pea, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Heat 1/2 of oil in large skillet over medium high heat; add onions.
- Stir fry until onions start to brown.
- Remove to plate and cover.
- Add remaining oil to skillet.
- Salt and pepper chicken.
- Place chicken in skillet and brown well on all sides.
- Strain 1/4 cup syrup from pineapples and set aside.
- Pour remaining syrup into skillet with chicken, reserving pineapples for later.
- Add vinegar, garlic chili pepper sauce and fish sauce to skillet.
- Mix sauce together and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook chicken through (turning chicken once or twice to coat with sauce).
- Remove chicken to plate with onions and re-cover.
- Turn heat to high and add peas and pineapple chunks.
- Stir fry 1-2 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch into reserved pineapple syrup until smooth.
- Add to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and onions with accumulated juices back to skillet.
- Cook until sauce turns translucent and all ingredients are combined.
- Serve with jasmine rice or rice noodles or rice almondine.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION