Spicy Oven Dried Tomatoes
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
I dare you to keep these for three weeks. We can't help but nibble them right out of the oven. Use in any recipe that calls for sundried tomatoes, or make up your own!
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 40mins
- 4 lbs plum tomatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 bay leaf, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 225.
- Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Seed and squeeze out the excess juice without crushing the tomatoes.
- Lay the tomatoes in a single layer, cut side up, on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine all the spice ingredients and the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with the spice mixture.
- Drizzle or spray the tomatoes with a small amount of olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 8 hours or overnight, or until the tomatoes are medium-dry.
- Remove from the oven, cool completely and serve.
- To store, transfer the tomatoes into a jar, and pour over a thin layer of olive oil to seal the top.
- Cover tightly with the jar lid.
- Will keep for about 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
These were easy to do; effortless as they take care of themselves happily in the oven. The smell is incredible! I've used them in everything from sandwiches, salads, soups, to SNACK! I pack them in old pickle jard with some olive oil and a couple cloves of garlic...they get BETTER with age. THANKS FOR SHARING.1Reply
see 1 more