Spicy Mexican Chicken Soup With Zucchini
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Fabulous Mexican chicken soup that cooks up in no time! From Hannaford Supermarkets' bi-monthly magazine, Fresh (January-February 2012).
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced, plus 1-1/2 teaspoons of the sauce (to taste)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 2 small zucchini, chopped (about ½ lb.)
- tortilla chips, crumbled (optional garnish)
- avocado, chopped and tossed with lime juice (optional garnish)
- cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese, grated
- pickled jalapeno pepper (optional garnish)
- cilantro leaf, chopped (optional garnish)
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano, chipotle, and adobo sauce and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth and tomatoes, adjust heat to high, and bring to a strong simmer.
- Add chicken, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until meat is opaque and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; when cool enough to handle, either chop or pull apart into thin shreds (you should have about 2 cups).
- Add zucchini and chicken to soup and simmer over medium heat until zucchini is just tender, about 5 minutes. Taste the soup and adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and serve with garnishes of your choice in small bowls on the side.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION