Spicy, Lebanese Lamb-Stuffed Squash
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb or 1/2 lb beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint or 2 teaspoons dried mint flakes
- 1⁄3 1/3 cup raisins or 1/3 cup craisins
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 3 medium acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- Cook squash in microwave or Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each squash half, if necessary, so that it will stand without wobbling. Place squash, hollow side up, in a shallow baking pan. Add 1/4 cup water, cover with foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes Squash should be just tender, not soft.
- Meanwhile prepare filling. Brown lamb with olive oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat.
- Reduce heat to med. and add onions, stir fry for 5 minutes Add all remaining ingredients except rice and tomato sauce.
- Turn heat to low and let simmer 10-15 mins., until currants plump and flavors mingle.
- Mix in rice, recover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Drain squash on paper towel and brush lightly with 1 tablespoon soft margarine. Mound filling into each hollow.Arrange squash on a cookie sheet or baking pan. Bake at 350 for 30 min or until stuffing and squash are heated through. (I usually skip the baking & just serve it up when stuffing is done).
- Can also be stuffed and refrigerated then heated for about 45 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I have lived in Wyoming for 30+ years. I love the mountains and have adapted to high altitude cooking. I do dutch oven cooking. I love to hike & camp. So I am always looking for recipes for my dutch, or easy to pack & cook for camping. The challenge is finding healthy and tasty dutch oven recipes! <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt=/ /></p>