Spicy Indian Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 2 -3 potatoes, small cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seeds (kalonji) or 1/4 teaspoon onion seeds (kalonji)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 chopped green chili pepper (I used Serrano pepper)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1) Peel and cut potatoes into small cubes.
- 2) Heat oil in pan.
- 3) Add cumin seeds, onion seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida powder to pan and shake around until seeds start to crackle.
- 4) Add potatoes, turmeric powder, salt and green chilis. Mix well.
- 5) Lower heat to simmer and cover pan for about 18-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. You may want to add a splash of water at this step if it's too dry for the potatoes to get cooked well.
- 6) Increase heat to high and stir. I let the potatoes brown a bit but you can skip this step.
- 7) Remove from heat and stir in chopped cilantro and lemon juice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
YUM, YUM, YUM Oh!!! these were soooo good. I see what you mean about eating them just on there own, I could of done that also. I cut my potatoe quite small and I managed to get away without adding the water and mine were sooo crispy and they were ready in a jiffy, I will make them again a lot as we do like our flavours of India. Thank you for a keeper. Made for PAC Spring 2010
I got this recipe from manjulaskitchen.com. It was so delicious we just ate it without any bread or accompaniment. I didn't even have time to take a picture because it was all gone! Maybe next time. The actual recipe states to boil the potatoes first, but I just added them to the pan and let them cook in the pan with the other ingredients. I don't know if the version below is exactly the same as from the website, but it's how I made it.