Spicy Indian Eggplant Spread
- Ready In:
- 2 eggplants, cubed
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- Toss eggplant with 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and spread on a long baking sheet prepared with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place on bottom rack of oven and turn oven onto 400°F Roast for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Stir eggplant and roast for an additional 5 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in a skillet and add onion.
- Saute until onion is golden, then stir in garlic and ginger for just a moment.
- Add garam masala, cumin, and cayenne pepper (adjust cayenne pepper to your preferred heat level).
- Once spices are fragrant, about another 30 seconds, add eggplant, tomatoes, and water to skillet.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, partially covered, before removing from heat.
- Stir in cilantro and salt, if desired.
- Optional: Run spread through food processor or blender if you prefer it to have a smoother consistency.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was fabulous!!!!! One of the most flavorful recipe I've found on this site. I substituted the canned tomatoes with fresh chopped. I also added 8 oz tomato sauce and simmered it on low for a long time until eggplant soft (my preferences). The flavors were divine! I served as side dish to Chicken Masala and served with naan. Yummy!
Good but not really a spread. I used canola oil to be soy free, powdered ginger (I thought I had fresh when I tagged it), recipe#279714, very small amount of cayenne pepper powder, DD1 (4 years old) was eating too, a good canned plumb tomatoes, sea salt, plus the rest of the ingredients. Made for Veggie Swap #49 ~ August ~