Spicy Candied Bacon
From the blog Serious Eats. It looks so yummy. I like bacon and this is something I want to try very soon.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons mild red chili powder
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 12 thickly-sliced pieces applewood-smoked bacon
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the chili powder and brown sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Fit a sheet of parchment paper onto a jelly-roll pan.
- Bury each slice of bacon in the chili and sugar mixture; rub both sides to assure the mixture adheres.
- Lay the bacon strips on the prepared pan.
- The bacon strips may be left flat or twisted two or three times by holding each end to make a candied "stick".
- Bake for 30 minutes without turning.
- Always transfer candied bacon using tongs; the hot sugar can easily burn your fingers.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Everyone in the family here loves bacon, and what a treat to find a recipe we can use for a snack. I made it twice -- the first time I covered the bacon slices generously with the brown sugar mixture, but they came out of the oven a little burnt. So I made them again, this time brushing any excess sugar off the bacon slices and they didn't burn at all. Both times I did have a problem getting the slices as crispy as I would have liked, but the taste was terrific nonetheless. And the applewood bacon was a flavor I had never tried before. Two of us finished the entire batch in one sitting; it was that good. Thanks for posting.