Spicy Cajun Meatloaf
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is a spicy, not hot, Cajun meatloaf. It contains the Holy Trinity, onions, celery, and bell peppers, and cayenne, black, and white peppers. It ain't Cajun if it doesn't contain these six ingredients!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 2 lbs lean ground meat
- 1 cup crushed oats
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups catsup, divided use
- Mix all ingredients except one cup of ketchup and the meats in a large mixing bowl. Add the meats and knead well, then put in three 4-by-8 glass or metal bread pans (I use 1 1/2 quart Pyrex glass bread pans). The remaining cup of ketchup will be used later.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Pour off grease, bake another 30 minutes, pour off grease.
- Remove tinfoil, spread remaining cup of catsup over the top of the meatloaf and along the sides, and bake about 10 minutes until catsup begins to caramelize and slightly blacken - this must be watched closely so as not to burn.
- The carmelized and blackened catsup on the top of the meatloaf and the sides of the pan both add a great flavor to the meatloaf.
- Cut contents of each bread pan into four 2 inch wide pieces. Makes 12 pieces, each 2 inches wide, 4 inches long, and 3 inches high.
- This makes a mild to medium hot meatloaf, if you want it milder or hotter, change the three peppers by 1/4 teaspoon each.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION