Spicy and Light Chicken Parmesan
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Crispy, Spicy, and Delicious! This re-imagined recipe for classic chicken parm is baked, not fried, and will be a new dinner staple. I served it with a baby arugula salad. Enjoy this yummy and healthy new classic. This Recipe serves 2.
- Ready In:
- 12 ounces organic boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (separated into thirds)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch or 1/4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can of muir glen tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano
- 1 cup organic grape tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 chopped organic red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup organic grape tomatoes
- 1 ounce marcona almonds
- balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set up 3 large plates side by side. Next to the plates, set up a cookie sheet with a rack in it. This will allow the chicken to get crispy on both sides. Rub olive oil on the rack. In the first, combine cornstarch or flour, 1/3 Tbsp of salt, a few grinds of pepper, and paprika. In the second bowl, whisk egg, 1/3 tbsp salt, a few grinds of pepper, and water. In third bowl, combine parmesan, panko, remaining salt, red pepper flakes, parsley, and basil. Pat pounded chicken with paper towels to ensure dryness. Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in flour mixture, then egg, then panko, and then place on prepared sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Top with fresh mozzarella and place back in oven. Change oven setting to low broil and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- While chicken is baking, add all sauce ingredients except basil, into a blender and blend until smooth. If you have a high powered blender such as a vitamix, you can blend on high setting and leave on for 5 minutes until steaming hot. If you do not have a high powered blender, pour blended sauce into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. Add basil to sauce afterward.
- Prepare salad by mixing together all ingredients. Dress with balsamic vinegar.
- Serve chicken with topped with sauce and the salad on the side. Garnish with fresh parsley.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION