Spiced Vanilla Chai
Freshly made chai
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 6 cardamom pods
- 10 in cinnamon sticks
- 3 teaspoons cloves
- 3 tea bags (or 2 tbsp loose tea)
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- honey (optional)
- Crush the black pepper, ginger root, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, and cloves together.
- Pour 8 cups of water into a saucepan and add the crushed spices and tea bags (or loose tea), along with the seeds from the vanilla pod.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for up 10 minutes.
- Strain the chai to remove the spices and prevent the tea becoming too strong. Serve in cups and sweeten with honey if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Just the way I like it - SPICY! I used fresh ginger, sliced thinly then mashed. I also bashed the cardamom & cinnamon. I scrunched up the cloves & peppercorns with my mortar & pestle & added the whole, split vanilla bean. :) I used my Kenyan black tea & didn't strain. The honey was perfect. I prefer my chai with a splash of 1/2 & 1/2. Absolutely delicious! Made for Veggie Swap 1/13.
A very pleasant, spicy chai recipe. I removed the tea bag but didn't strain it because I like my tea a little strong. And I thought it made for a wonderful chai. I was a bit skeptical of the pepper, but it gave a touch of heat that I've never seen in other chai recipes, not any that I've tried anyway. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Annacia. Made for "Please Review My Recipe" tag game.
This is a nice spicy chai. I used Lipton yellow Label tea bags which I think are stronger so I removed it before the end of simmering per preference. I also smashed the required amount of ginger a little with the other spices using pestle and mortar rather than grating it at all as I find it to make tea very strong when grated. I added halal vanilla paste which has vanilla bean flecks in it, after sweetening ours with honey. I then added a splash of homemade almond milk to each mug to keep it dairy free. I would make this chai again. Made for Veggie Swap 31 ~ February 2011.