Spiced-Up Butternut Squash Soup
photo by Sin-Gal
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil or 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 32 ounces vegetable stock (unsalted)
- 2⁄3 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, Toasted and ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (add more or less depending on spice preference)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄3 teaspoon garam masala
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place butternut squash in a cookie sheet, drizzle with 2 tbsp of oil, sprinkle 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper. Roast until squash is tender but not mushy. Stir the squash during the roasting process for even cooking.
- While the squash is roasting, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery. Once the onion is translucent, add garlic and green onion, stir and cook for 1 minute. Turn the heat on low, add all the spices to the pot, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add roasted squash and stock. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Puree soup using a stick blender or in a blender (If using a blender, pour soup back in pot). Stir in coconut milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat on low and warm through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this the other day, with a slight modification. I didn't have butternut squash, so used a kind of sweet tropical pumpkin that is quite similar, and used an equal amount of white potato to make up for the pumpkin not being quite as smooth and creamy as butternut squash. I also left out the coconut milk because I forgot to buy some. :)<br/><br/>I was inspired by this soup. The rich spicy flavors really go well with the sweet and mild squash. I love the thick creamy texture. The color is beautiful. <br/><br/>I had it by itself the first day, then I had some of the leftovers the next day served over rice, and it was good that way, too.<br/><br/>Recommended!