Spiced Strawberry Syrup ( and Shrub Recipe)
- Ready In:
2 cups, approximately
- 2 lbs organic strawberries, washed and hulled (about 2 quarts)
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 thick slice fresh ginger (3/4-inch)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes (to taste, I use half-teaspoons of the spices)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon szichuan peppercorn (to taste)
- 1. Working in batches, pulse berries in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in sugar, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Strain juices into a 2-qt. saucepan; reserve fruit for another use. Add ginger, chile flakes, and peppercorns to juice mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until thick and syrupy, 30-35 minutes. Skim off any surface scum about halfway through the cooking. Stir in remaining lemon juice and let syrup cool to room temperature. Strain out spices and store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
TO MAKE A SHRUB:
- Combine 4 to 6 tablespoons of the syrup with 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar in a tall, ice-filled glass; top with sparkling water.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>This site has gotten so horribly bad over the past couple of years, I have stopped using it to manage my recipes and have gone over to using another one, which I have been forbidden to mention on Food.com. It's no secret that there are competitors; send me a message if you are in the same boat and would like to know. For now, I only frequent a few of the forums and that's it. The Titanic has sailed!</p>