Spiced Black Bean Soup
A black bean soup like no other! Unique and intensely flavored. Warmed pita's make a nice side to this exciting soup.
- Ready In:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 -4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 tablespoons nonfat sour cream or 4 tablespoons plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat oil saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped veggies and saute until onion is translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for one more minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add black beans, vegetable broth and the rest of the spices. Bring to boil, then simmer for 30-35 minutes.
- Optional: If desired, use food processor or blender and puree half of mixture (leaving half 'chunky'), then return to pan and heat through.
- Top each bowl with 1 tablespoon ff sour cream or ff yogurt and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro - even though I love cilantro and sour cream; I happen to enjoy this soup 'as is.'.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Both DH and I thought this was just OK. We enjoyed the flavor but thought it was on the thin side. We love black bean soup but would suggest either deceasing the broth to 1 cup or adding an additional can of black beans drained. I made as posted with all the ingredients including the spices. Thanks for posting. :)Reply
see 16 more