Spenser's Sloppy Joes
Thsi is a recipe from "Down Home with the Nelley's." Pat said it was created by his daughter, Spenser. I have not tried yet but will soon. It is here for safe keeping.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- black pepper, freshly grounded
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (Neeley's used their own)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended ( Tabasco)
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- barbecue sauce, for topping
- Heat oil in a large skillet with straight sides. Add the bell peppers and garlic. Saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the ground beef to the vegetables. Stir and cook about 8 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink and fully cooked.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire, and hot sauce into the skillet. Stir. Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Serve on buns with extra sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation