Spelt Pizza With Prosciutto and Pancetta
photo by Laka
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 200 ml warm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 380 g whole wheat spelt flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 240 g canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 100 g prosciutto, thinly sliced (or smoked ham)
- 50 g pancetta, thinly sliced
- 400 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 150 g gouda cheese, coarsely grated (or mozzarella)
- Place the ingredients for the dough into the breadmaker bread pan according to the manufacturer's directions. Set the PIZZA cycle and press START. After about 5 minutes of kneading, check the consistency of the dough. If it is not in a smooth, round ball, open lid and with machine ON, add water, a tablespoon at the time if too dry; add a tablespoon of flour at the time if too wet.
- Remove the dough promptly from the breadmaker at the end of the cycle. Knead dough about 10 times on a lightly floured surface. Cover with kitchen towel and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the pizza sauce sauté garlic in olive oil until golden (it mustn’t go dark). Add the tomatoes, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool. Use as it is, lumpy, or blend with a stick blender to create a smooth sauce.
- Take a large cookie sheet and place it on a center rack of a cold oven upside-down. Heat the oven to max. Preheating the pan in this way will allow the pizza crust to become crispy from contact with the hot pan, similar to using a pizza stone.
- Place the pizza dough onto the floured parchment paper. Roll it into a 12-inch disc. Cover with pizza sauce and sprinkle with dried oregano.
- Place prosciutto and pancetta slices onto the sauce. Gently slide the parchment and pizza off of the cutting board onto the hot cookie sheet bottom. Bake pizza for about 5 minutes at 250°C (or max).
- Open the oven and slide the rack with the tray out slightly or take it out of the oven to top the pizza with sliced button mushrooms. Return the pizza to the oven, bake for another 5 minutes at max or until pizza becomes crispy. Remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top and place the pizza into turned-off oven for 1 -2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Cut into quarters and serve with black or green olives.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Food lover, wine and espresso drinker, chocolate addict. I love my family, my dog (when I have it) and my food processor. I cook every single day since I married and probably will until the day I die. I love to share my recipes that are straightforward to prepare, yet are exceptionally tasty and look so good. I hope you feel inspired by my recipes and that they find life in your kitchen!