Spelt Flour Biscuits- Light and Fluffy and Full of Flavor
photo by Judith W.
- Ready In:
1 per person
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In large mixing bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until dough is crumbly. Small pea sized pellets formed. Slowly add milk while mixing. The dough should pull away from sides of bowl. More milk if still to dry/crumbly, less milk if pasty.
- If adding other ingredients*, do so before adding milk.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes depending on oven. Top will look golden brown and bottom edge is visibly brown as well.
- Remove from oven and serve with gravy, butter, jam, syrup, honey -- options are endless -- these are compatable with just about anything.
Questions & Replies
Made these today for my family and what a hit it was! I made adjustments for my preferences and those were as follows: I used unsalted butter; I used almond milk. This made two pans of biscuits using the drop method and they were a little darker than bleached flour biscuits, but my family has eaten spelt flour items before so they didn't mind. The bottom of them was so crusty and yummy I wanted to eat the bottoms off all of them. :) Wonderful flavor. I cooked my biscuits for about 13 minutes and next time will do 15. I like them crusty. ENJOY. I will post a photo of them right out of the oven.
The instructions are incomplete. Is this intended to be a rolled and cut biscuit or a drop biscuit? What kind of pan are you baking them in? Also, you can add anything in the world to them... but the option suggestions don't offer and guidance on how much the author would suggest to add. This is supposed to be a Q, not a tweak. Sorry.