photo by lazyme
- Ready In:
- 1 lb porterhouse steak
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 5 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- hot cooked fine egg noodles or rice
- Slice steak diagonally across the grain into thin strips; toss with the flour.
- Brown steak in butter in a large skillet over medium heat; at the same time, add the mushrooms and garlic. Once the steak is brown, add the water and soup mix.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and stir in sour cream. Cook uncovered until thoroughly heated. (Do not boil once the heat has been reduced to keep the sour cream from curdling) Serve over noodles or rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This really is speedy! I hesitated to use a good porterhouse steak for stroganoff, but glad that I did. It turned out very tender. I added a couple of slices of onions that I needed to use up when I was sauteeing everything and I thought that it was a nice addition. Very simple, tasty, and quick. Next time I will thin the sauce out a little more but this had all of that great stroganoff taste. Thanks breezermom for a nice new keeper. Made for 1-2-3 Tag.
This was very flavorful, and speedy. I started it a little before DH was home from work thinking it would be done when he got home...needless to say i was calling him because dinner was ready and he was still driving home. Only change I made was to quarter the mushrooms so they would be big enough for DH to pick them out. This has a really great flavor; served over egg noodles. Next time I think I will add a little milk to the sauce to thin it out so it has more 'gravy' for the noodles. Made for 1-2-3-Hits January 2010.
Used this recipe last Saturday evening after we had loaded our weekly load of firewood into the garage for the woodstove. I really like the use of a tender cut of steak here. Although I had round steak, I thought I would use this as a change. What a great change this was, too! I didn't have any onion soup mix, so I used a can of *Campbells French Onion* soup and eliminated the extra water. I had some grand egg noodles and served some of the mushrooms mixed into the noodles too. Lovely with many thanks breezermom! Made for *Everyday is a Holiday* Dec 2008