I don't really know what makes a dish Spanish. But I do know this is good eating! Serve as a main dish or as an appetizer.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons shallots, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined,shells left intact
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the grill over high heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, shallots, cumin, paprika, about 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the shrimp and stir to coat the shrimp thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Using a small grate grill rack, grill the shrimp for about 1-2 minutes per side or until pink and just cooked through.
- (If you don't have a small grill rack you can also thread the shrimp on skewers to prevent them from falling through your rack.) Remove from the grill and garnish with cilantro and parsley.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the top of the shrimp and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
All I can say is WOW! These shrimp were absolutely delicious -- just the right amount of spice. So easy to make, but awesome results! These shrimp will be on many more dinner menus to come. I wanted to take a picture of these beautiful shrimp, but they were gone before I had a chance to pick up the camera. Thank goodness someone has already posted a picture.
Made this tonight and had a brain freeze and put the cilantro and italian parsley in with the mix...it was awesome! I may try the hot frying pan next time as others have suggested, so that we have more "base" to put over rice, etc. The shrimp flavor is awesome, not sure I'd do the cilantro and parsley if we just grill them next time as we didn't think it needed the extra flavor, the shrimp would be good enough without those two ingredients if you don't have them or like them.
Update Jul 7, 2009: Wow, I so love this dish. You just really can't go wrong! This time I turned them into fajitas by adding some sliced veggies...strips of red onion, red and green bell pepper, and yellow summer squash. Pretty colors. Delicious served with black beans and guacamole. Dec 17, 2005: Ginny, this is amazing shrimp. I so thoroughly enjoyed it, I can't believe I actually put leftovers away when what I really wanted to do was eat them all. Lovely with white rice cooked in chicken broth with garlic and saffron. Thank you so much.