Spanish Rice Sunny Side Up
- Ready In:
- 2 cups white rice, washed
- 1 1⁄3 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -4 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 -6 eggs
- Wash your rice in cool water, swishing until it becomes cloudy, drain with a fine mesh colander, and repeat 2-3 times. Let sit while you chop your onions and garlic. Clean rice tastes much better! Trust me. It also honors Japanese cooking precepts.
- Once you're done chopping melt the butter in a large, preferably heavy bottomed pot with your olive oil. This will help prevent your butter from burning. Once butter is melted add the onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until onions start to become translucent and the garlic fragrant.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with the oil/butter. Add spices and salt, stir to coat. Add your chicken broth and bring to a low boil, then cover, reduce to a simmer. When water is mostly absorbed add your black beans and re-cover. Cook in total for approximately 10 to 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- When rice is just about done cook your eggs.
- Serve rice in bowls, top with a "sunny side up" egg. Break the yolk and mash inches I recommend adding a little Tabasco sauce.
- Last step, gnosh! Presto! Simple, quick, ethnic vegetarian comfort food!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!