Bacon Spanish Rice
photo by katie in the UP
- Ready In:
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell peppers or 1/4 cup poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup bottled chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- Fry the bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon and crumble.
- Save 1/2 of bacon fat.
- Saute onion and pepper (in 1/2 of the fat from the bacon) until tender. Add rest of ingredients.
- Stir, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add crumbled bacon before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
GREAT, GREAT TASTING RICE! I did use but half of the bacon indicated, & included 1/8 cup of diced green bell pepper & the same amount of poblano pepper, & this side dish was wonderful as well as being sooo easy to prepare! Definitely a keeper! [Made & reviewed while touring South & Central America on the Zaar World Tour 4]
ok, I am bummed. I went to buy chili sauce and stupidly bought sriracha sauce and added only 1/8 of a cup. But, it is inedible... I think it would have helped to specify what type of chili sauce, b/c the only other chili sauce I saw in the supermarket was sweet chili sauce?? Anyway, it looks beautiful, but it was ruined.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside . . . Chardonnay in one hand . . .chocolate in the other; the body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"