Spanish Beef and Potato Stew W Saffron from La Mancha (Tonjunto
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large green bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄4 lbs boneless stewing beef, trimmed of large pieces of fat and cut into irregular shapes
- 1 1⁄4 lbs boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch saffron thread, crumbled in a mortar
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Put the olive oil, bell peppers, onion, garlic, and beef in the stew pot, in that order.
- Layer the potatoes on top of the beef.
- Add the salt, pepper, cloves, bay leaf, and saffron.
- Pour the wine over and add enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the meat is very tender, about 2 hours.
- Makes 4 servings.
- Serve immediately Real Stew.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!