Spanakopita - Greek Spinach-Feta Strudel
- Ready In:
- 1000 g fresh spinach, chopped (or 600g frozen)
- 200 g puff pastry (one large sheet, or phyllo dough)
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 200 g feta cheese (small cubes)
- 50 g chopped walnuts (or almonds, or pine nuts)
- 1 large red onion (chopped)
- 5 -6 garlic cloves
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable broth, granules
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Heat oil in a large frying pan (or skillet) and add chopped onion and minced garlic (adjust amount to your taste).
- Let fry until translucent.
- Add chopped spinach and let wilt.
- Season with nutmeg, vegetable broth granules, salt and pepper.
- Add ricotta cheese and stir to dissolve.
- Crumble walnuts to mixture.
- Add feta cubes and stir again.
- Let spinach filling cool for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile heat oven to 175°C and cover a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place puff pastry on baking tray and brush sides with melted butter.
- Pour cooled spinach mixture on pastry and cover two thirds of the pastry with mixture, leave half inch wide edges on the sides and bottom.
- Fold in bottom and sides and roll pastry to a strudel, seam side down.
- Brush with the rest of the melted butter.
- Bake for about 25minutes at 175°C until golden brown. After 15 minutes sprinkle strudel with sesame seeds.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!