Spanakopita (Greek Greens Pie )
Not entirely authentic - but very good. A combination of mustard greens and spinach is delicious. Layering the phyllo dough isn't difficult once you get into it. IMPORTANT: As you work, keep the phyllo pkg covered with a damp towel so it won't dry out.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 (17 ounce) package thawed phyllo dough
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 lb spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarse diced onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons seedless raisins
- 2 eggs
- 24 ounces feta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook spinach til tender; drain, lightly squeeze out excess water and place in med bowl. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice and rind to spinach; mix well. Set aside.
- Saute onions with spices in 2 tbsp olive oil until onions are transparent. Stir in rice, water and raisins; heat through. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, beat eggs lightly with pepper. Add feta cheese and mix well. Set aside.
- In a 9" oiled deep pie pan, lay one sheet of phyllo on the bottom of the pan and brush entire surface with melted butter. Top with 7 more sheets, one by one, brushing each and rotating each sheet 20 degrees. There will be over-hang.
- Over that, carefully layer the onion mixture, then the spinach, then the cheese.
- Cover with a top 'crust' of phyllo by repeating same procedure as step 4: Eight sheets, each brushed with butter and rotated.
- Roll-up the overhanging dough to form a seal. Brush top with melted butter.
- Bake 350 degrees, for 1/2 hour. Lay a piece of foil over top and continue to bake for another 1/2 hour or until done.
- Allow to cool to room temperature before eating.