Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin
photo by *Parsley*
- Ready In:
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow onion, cut in half and very thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place in a covered dish with a ¼ inch of water and microwave for 10 -12 minutes.
- In a medium sized skillet over medium heat, add the butter, onions, red pepper and thyme and cook until the onions are slightly brown in color. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash and transfer to a small bowl.
- Combine the squash, onions, sour cream and half the cheese together and mix well. Transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Place into a 375º for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
This was excellent. First time in 10 years cooking spaghetti squash and just started a low carb diet. A couple of recommendations. To cook the squash, cut it in 1 inch rounds. Clean out center seeds. Brush with olive oil, salt and pepper, and then cook in oven at 425 for about 30 minutes. You will get nice long strands this way and the moister seems to cook out of the squash. I then added chicken and chopped up Hatch green chiles. I also increased the sour cream and cheese so it wouldn't be too dry with the chicken. Cooked at 400 degrees. It was better than I had hoped for.
This is really a different way to serve squash and we quite enjoyed it. It is great for South Beach Dieters as it's almost like potatoes au gratin only it is "legal"! Once I got the dang squash cut in half it was smooth sailing. I used low fat sour cream and low fat cheese blend with cheddar, gouda, mozzarella and provolone. Yum! Made for PAC 2012, thanks for the lovely recipe.
see 8 more reviews