Spaghetti Con Cozze E Pomodoro (Mussels and Tomatoes)
photo by kiwidutch
- Ready In:
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 pinch dried sage
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 2 dozen mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded (I usually use about 3 dozen)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons romano cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti, and cook according to package directions.
- Place the mussels in a pot with some water. Cover and steam until the shells have opened and discard those which remain closed.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and butter, and saute the onion and garlic until translucent. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, wine, sage, chili pepper, salt, and pepper to the onions. Let simmer for 10 minutes over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. Add mussels and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove mussels from the sauce and set aside.
- Drain the pasta and toss with sauce, parsley, and grated cheese.
- Divide pasta among 4 or 6 bowls depending on how large you like your servings and divide the mussels among the bowls.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This one was a toss up between two and three stars... Please be warned that DH is a severe critic when it comes to pasta... other peoples preferences might well give this 5 stars. Hubby liked the pasta and the mussels, but said that, adding the tomato puree and the tomatoes were a big no no , at least for him. He did as the recipe directed and he told it as he saw and tasted it :) I don't eat mussels due to seafood allergies so couldn't tell you if that's a reasonable comment to make or if it's his heavy handed reviewing... PLEASE I would love someone else to make this and let me know :) I know DH adores mussels and pasta, he's just been pretty tough on this recipe. Hubby ate this no problem, just said it wouldn't be a favourite as it stands with the tomato in it. He enjoyed giving this a go. Thanks!