Spaetzle with Browned Butter
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- additional salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt and nutmeg.
- Add the eggs and milk; stir until thoroughly combined.
- Let dough rest about 15 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a large pot of lightly salted water until boiling.
- Using a spaetzle machine Add the spaetzle and cook until done, about 4- 5 minutes.
- The dumplings will float when done.
- Drain well.
- In a saute pan heat butterand saute until butter has turned brown.
- Place the spaetzle in a serving dish and pour the butter on top.
- Season with salt and pepper; toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Unfortunately no photo for this one, we ate them too quickly! DH made this recipe, he says he found that the cooked spaetzle were too wet to pour the browned butter over and he was concerned over the consistency, so instead he fried the spaetzle in the butter which is the way we are used to having them. Nice enough recipe, reasonable consistency to use with a manual spaetzle maker (as in, the pan with holes and a spatula). He couldn't find the nutmeg so didn't add it. Thanks!