Courtesy of Chef Olaf Mertens, developed for the 2008 Toronto Gourmet Food & Wine Expo Submitted for ZWT 6
- Ready In:
- 17 5⁄8 ounces spaetzle noodles (before cooking)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, sliced very fine
- 8 ounces smoked bacon, diced very fine
- 12 1⁄3 ounces black forest ham, sliced very fine
- 1 bunch chives, sliced fine
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 14 ounces emmenthaler cheese, grated
- salt & pepper
- Cook Spaetzle in a large pot of boiling salt water for 13 minutes until tender and strain, add into a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the oil and butter to a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add in sliced onions and sauté until golden brown, add in bacon and ham and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Mix together the onions, bacon and ham into a large bowl with noodles.
- Add in chives, parsley and seasoning to taste. Be careful with the salt because the bacon is already salty!
- Mix well together and add half the cheese.
- Butter the sides of an oven baking dish, add the mixture and cover it with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes and broil for 3 minutes until the "bake" is golden brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was very good. I especially loved the noodles with the bacon, ham and herbs. Just a delicious combination! The only thing I didn't care for was the cheese. I think using less cheese would be better and perhaps using a mild-flavored white cheese. I thought the emmenthaler cheese taste was a bit too dominant. This could very well just be my personal taste. I will try it again with the cheese changes. Again, I LOVED the bacon, ham, herb and spaetzle combo...yum!! Danke. ~Made for ZWT 6 Zee Zany Zesty Cookz~Reply
see 2 more