photo by Debs Recipes
- Ready In:
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 16 ounces cottage cheese, pureed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sliced olive
- Cut each tortilla into 2 or 3 pieces; set aside.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet until crumbly; drain fat.
- Add seasonings, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and green chiles to the skillet; stir and bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine cottage cheese, egg, and 1 1/3 cups of the shredded cheese in a separate bowl.
- In a lightly greased 9x13" baking pan, spread (in layers) half of the meat mixture, then half of the tortilla pieces, and then half of the cheese mixture; repeat the layers, ending with cheese mixture; sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup shredded cheese and sliced olives over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly around edges; remove from oven and let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting into serving portions.
- NOTE: The cottage cheese may be left unpureed or may be replaced with a cup of ricotta cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I halved this recipe, but still used 2 tb. taco seasoning and the full can of tomatoes and simply omitted the seasoning salt. Also had some Mexican style quesadilla melting cheese (block form) that needed to be used up, and that worked well too. An easy dish using ordinary ingredients--cuts into squares very nicely and tastes good. We're happy--thanks Deb--looking forward to leftovers tomorrow.
Loved it! Deb, I served this tonight for company and everyone raved about it. I changed the serving size to 6 but used a full egg, and I used rotel rather than separate cans of tomatoes and green chilis. Thank you for a great recipe. (Please see my rating system as I rate tougher than most.) Edited to say that I had this again today as leftovers and it is so good! I allow myself to break my "no 5 stars the first time I make it" rule just once a month and I've decided that this is the one, the flavor is really awesome on this one.
Definitely a Southwest flavor on this one. I was a bit surprised by the green olives, but they added a pleasant sharpness against the corn tortillas and cheese. Simple to make and assemble, and I thought I wanted more cheese & fillings, but the recipe done as is was actually quite nice. It gets 5 stars for "We ate it all!" P.S. I just re-read the recipe, and didn't realize I should have used black olives. I'll try that next time!
Thank you Deb for posting this recipe and twissis for suggesting it to me! We really enjoyed this a lot! I also used flour tortilla's instead of corn and substituted ground turkey for the beef. Very easy and quick to put together, cottage cheese mixture is so creamy and goes very well with the casserole. We did top this with a little sour cream and salsa and sliced olives. Perfect for a busy weekend meal or next get-together with friends!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
A happily married wife and mom of two young adults, who enjoys a variety of creative pursuits including a love of cooking and baking. I also enjoy gardening, nature, travel, and skiing. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/55221/homemadepastaforzaarpage.jpg"> Recipezaar is my favorite cooking website. I can't believe eight years have passed since I first found this wonderful cooking community! Life circumstances have recently kept me away, but I hope to be back soon. I really appreciate those who have kindly reviewed or photographed my recipes ~ <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/Zaar/thankyou.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/Zaar/aboutmepagefont.jpg"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac2.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac6.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac5.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac1.jpg" hspace="3" vspace="5"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac3.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/debsposies/pac4.jpg" hspace="4" vspace="5"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg" hspace="0" vspace="4"><img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif" hspace="0" vspace="4"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif" hspace="1" vspace="5"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/ParticipationBanner.jpg" hspace="1"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/craze-e2banner.jpg" hspace="2"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/Dollar%20Contest/DiningonaDollarParticipant.jpg" vspace="3" hspace="4"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC9-Debs.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC10-Debs.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-Debs.jpg"><img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC12-DebsRecipes.jpg" vspace="7"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/RSC%20Lucky%2013/ParticipationSticker.jpg" hspace="8" vspace="3"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/sticker.jpg" hspace="8" vspace="4">