Southwest Chicken Pasta
A quick meal with lots of flavors!!
- Ready In:
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces salsa (about 2 cups at your desired spice level)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add 2 1/2 tsp of salt and penne to the boiling water. Cook according to package directions.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining 1/2 tsp of salt and the oregano.
- Cut the chicken across the short side to create strips.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide skillet over high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken.
- Spread it out into a single layer.
- Then add the sliced peppers.
- Cook without stirring for about 5 min - you would like the chicken to brown a little bit. If it seems as if it will burn, stir it.
- Add the salsa, stir and cook for about 5 more min or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Spoon cooked penne into a serving bowl or onto plates.
- Top with the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if desired, and a little of the shredded cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Maybe I didn't do it right, but the portions didn't turn out quite right. 2 red bell peppers was way more than I needed. I just used one. Served WAY more than four- I think my husband and I will be eating this for the next week. Serving size should be 6-8. Other than that, however, it turned out pretty well, and was fairly simple. Next time I am going to add some shrimp, tapatio (or hotter salsa) and a little lime juice. Yuummmyy