Southwest Bean Soup
This soup is to die for! I eat it bowl by bowl until it's gone and never get tired of it. It's perfect for anyone on a diet like Weight Watchers or South Beach. Adapted from TOH Healthy Cooking Dec 2008.
- Ready In:
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 1 green pepper, medium, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, petite are best
- 8 ounces chopped green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, vacuum packed niblets are best
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute veggies and garlic until almost tender.
- Stir in all but cilantro and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro.
- Freezes well.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I think this soup is delicious. I substituted kidney beans for the black bean. Also, I use vegetable broth since my daughter is vegetarian. Last, it really makes it hearty with a cup of pasta (with extra water or broth of course). Great recipe with a lot of flexibility. One more thing -I add some crushed red pepper and ground cayenne for more spice.1Reply
Short on time? This soup can be on the table in under an hour. I sauteed the vegetable using a tablespoon of olive oil. The chiles added a nice kick. I think next time I make this I'll add another 15 ounce can of broth. For the meat lover in the family, you could always add cooked chicken to their bowl of soup. Me, I'll take mine as written. Made for PAC Spring 20121Reply
see 1 more