Southern Living's Cream Cheese Banana Bread
photo by sharonhull49
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas (1 1/4 pounds unpeeled bananas, about 4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla. Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8- x 4-inch loafpans.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and sides pull away from pan, shielding with aluminum foil last 15 minutes to prevent browning, if necessary. Cool bread in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool 30 minutes on wire racks before slicing.
Questions & Replies
For years I've made banana bread using the recipe on the back of the flour bag. I wanted to try something different when I Found this recipe online. It is moist and delicious. I added blueberrys that I tossed in flour to keep from sinking to the bottom of batter. Thats the only addition or change I made. I used shortening to grease bread pans then floured. The Loaves came out easily. No foil needed toward end of baking the bread had a nice golden brown. To the recipe.
I have been looking for a Banana bread recipe for the longest time, without any luck as every single one of them... have been less then memorable UNTIL today lol. I absolutely love this recipe, Its Soooo yummy! All of the flavor and moistness, that I crave In a Great Banana bread Is definitely present and the cream cheese adds a little more depth to It. I did tweak the recipe a tad bit by adding 3 eggs instead of 2, I also put 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla , and in addition to the cinnamon I added finely ground clove,ginger,and nutmeg. Also since i was doing muffins, I baked them @ 350 like the recipe called for, but for only 25 min. I've finally found the Banana bread recipe that is more then memorable, and is now my favorite. I cant wait to pass a few of them to family and friends <3<br/><br/>Thanks so much for sharing !!
Outstanding! Made this recipe to take when we visited relatives. Made 1 loaf with nuts, the other without. Both were amazingly moist and delicious. This has become my definite go-to banana bread recipe. I altered the recipe slightly. I used 1 c. white sugar + 1 c. brown sugar and substituted 3 T. of vanilla yogurt for 2 T. of the cream cheese. Truly delicious.