Southern Honey-Chicken Salad
photo by Marie Nixon
- Ready In:
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 3 celery ribs, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup sweet dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups light mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- NOTE: For the chicken, I use 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, baked. You can also use a rotissiere chicken or left-over baked chicken.
- Toast the pecans lightly in a dry frying pan over medium-low heat or in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine first 4 ingredients (chicken, celery, cranberries, and pecans).
- Whisk together mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients until mixed.
- Add to chicken mixture, stirring gently until combined.
- Garnish with additional pecans, if desired.
- Chill 1-2 hours before serving with crackers or on individual salad greens.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I also own the 2006 Southern Living Annual Recipe Book and found this there. Made it this week for a "Salad Supper" that we did for guests. Husband really enjoyed it, and he is picky about chicken salad. I did use full fat mayo, as the book doesn't specify light mayo. So I'm not sure how that would affect the taste, but I guess that's up to you. I think if I were going to "lighten it up" I would do half full fat mayo and half fat free yogurt or sour cream. I served this as a choice of mini sandwiches (served on whole wheat dinner rolls) or as is. We had it alongside of shrimp salad, green salad, raw veggie dippers, a variety of dressing/dips, cornbread muffins, and a nut bowl.
Made for Safari supper potluck tag, 2009. This is a very nice and "light" tasting chicken salad. I liked the addition of cranberries. I added a lot more pepper simply because we like it that way. I also added some crumbled blue cheese, and it set of the sweet and salty aspects of the cranberries, honey, and blue cheese. Very nice!
I made this recipe for a ladies lunch and I have made it again for my family within a week. It is fantastic - and has gotten rave reviews. I made it according to recipe the first time and the second time, I used chopped dried apricots that I softened by soaking in boiling water for a few minutes prior to mixing in.