South of the Border Crock Pot Chicken
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 10mins
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, cut up
- 1 limes, juice of or 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup reposado tequila (or flat 7-Up)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- Heat garlic in olive oil.
- Place chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Pour garlic oil into slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is DELICIOUS! We shredded the chicken and served it with rice and corn and together they made a fabulous meal. We used Jose Cuervo Lime for the tequila and I really think it was perfect for this. We also topped this with a bit of fresh cilantro. We also used all boneless skinless chicken breasts for this and they were done around an hour or so earlier. I also used sunny D as the orange juice since I had some on hand. PERFECT!
Made this recipe exactly as directed last Sunday and followed a review suggestion of using broth for the rice. The rice turned out terrible! NEVER before has jasmine rice so disappointed me so I wouldn't recommend that part at all. The chicken itself was pretty good (though quite hot for those who don't like their food burning their tongues) but hubby was quite ambivalent about it anyway. "It's okay" said he with a shrug. Never one to be chinzy about rave reviews, he did not give this a "keeper" rating and I probably won't make this one again.