South of the Border Casserole
An easy and family pleasing casserole that's on the table in less than 45 minutes. I serve this with a guacamole salad, or a green salad with slices of avocado.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced (optional or more to taste)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 corn tortillas, cut in half
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (8 oz)
- Preheat oven to 325 and grease 1 1/2 qrt casserole dish.
- Brown meat and drain.
- Add onion and jalapeno (if using) and cook with meat until tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Layer one-third of meat mixture, cheese and one half of tortillas in casserole dish; repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Bake at 325 for 20 minutes.
- Note: Corn tortillas will soften and absorb the sauce.
- These are recommended.
- Flour tortillas will expand and the casserole will be too doughy-therefore flour tortillas are not recommended.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 2 more