South Indian Fish Curry
photo by JustJanS
- Ready In:
- 1 kg fish, without pin bones- firm fleshed cut into medium size pieces
- 3 teaspoons oil (preferably Coconut oil)
- 1 few curry leaf
- 1 shallot, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon tamarind pulp
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 3 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- asafoetida powder, A pinch
- Wash and clean the fish.
- Mix the chili powder, turmeric and coriander powder with a few drops of water to make a thick paste.
- In a shallow pan, heat the oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and the fenugreek seeds and sauté till they splutter.
- Add the shallots and fry till golden brown.
- Add the spices paste and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and tamarind and bring to boil.
- Add the fish pieces, add curry leaves and sprinkle asafetida from the top.
- Cook for 20- 25 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We eat and cook lots and lots of curries, and this wasn't one of our favourites. We found it quite bitter and raw tasting and missing "something" (other than salt). We used smaller pieces of fish and although we only cooked them in the sauce for 5 minutes, they were quite dry. I think the recipe needs a little editing-it would be good if the ingredients were listed in the order they atre used in the method. Recipe is very simple and we thank you for that.