Sourdough Oatmeal Potato Bread
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- Place ingredients in bread machine pan in the order that they are listed.
- Select dough cycle and press start.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and shape into desired loaf.
- Place in greased loaf pan and let rise, covered, until 1 to 2 inches above edges of pan.
- Be patient, this can take several hours, depending upon how active your sourdough culture is.
- Uncover and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until done.
- Immediately turn out of pan and cool on wire rack.
- Brush top crust with butter for a soft crust, if desired.
- NOTE: You can use part whole wheat flour (up to 1 1/2 cups) in place of all white flour.
- I recently made this and used only 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour.
- It made a very nice, light wheat bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
No way this recipe is a 5 star; it's for sure a 10 star. What a great sandwich bread and making on the ABM dough setting then taking out to shape and allow for a 2nd rise made for a soft crumb, with a hint of sweetness that makes for a wonderful sandwich bread. As always Donna with your bread recipes - it's the BEST.
see 10 more reviews
Wonderful! I finally got around to trying this out with those potato flakes that I was so hesitant about buying. I did substitute the milk with buttermilk and it yielded an exceptional and HUGE loaf. I used the Red Sea starter and it rose enormously in my large loaf pan in 3 hours. I needed about 8 more minutes on the baking time. I will definitely try CarrolJ's suggestion to bake it in a large stoneware bowl the next time I make it. This was indeed a WONDER loaf with lots of good taste, perfect soft texture, and a unique richness. Thanks, Donna!