Sourdough Chocolate Malt Dessert Waffles
Absolutely decadent dessert waffles! They're so light and crispy it's hard to believe they are made with sourdough and whole wheat flour. Can be made in a Belgian or traditional waffle iron. Great use of extra sourdough starter! Recipe from King Arthur flour. Time indicated includes proofing time!
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 15mins
- 1 cup proofed sourdough starter (8 oz.)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, cool (10 oz.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour, 100% (6 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa, Dutch preferred (1 1/2 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup instant malted milk powder (2 1/4 oz.)
- 1 teasoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (5 1/4 oz.)
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted, melted (cool slightly)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or substitute Kahlua)
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips, semi sweet (4 1/2 oz.)
- ice cream
- whipped cream
- chocolate syrup
- Proof your starter by adding one cup of flour and one cup of water to 1/4 cup of starter.
Next Morning (Prepare sponge 6-8 hours in advance):
- Pour 1 cup proofed starter into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Stir in the water and whole wheat flour and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cover bowl and set aside for 6 - 8 hours.
To Make Batter:
- Whisk together the dry ingredients, sifting if necessary to remove all lumps.
- To the sourdough sponge, stir in the eggs, flour mixture, melted butter, vanilla and chocolate chips.
- Mix thoroughly.
To Bake Waffles:
- Pour about 1/2 cup of batter into greased, preheated waffle iron.
- Bake until the steam stops coming out of the sides of the iron.
- The waffles will be soft and tender when removing from the iron, however they will crisp up as they cool.
- Top with ice cream, fruit and sauce and whipped cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What a decadent breakfast this made - DH couldn't believe I'd do something like this. I had saved this recipe a long time ago while I tried to find the ingrediants (malt being the culprit) but finally did. Once you have the starter active it all went together really easy and the taste is to die for. Not something we can do often but what a wonderful treat for those special occassions. I know my DGSs are going to love this. Thanks GW for another winning recipe.Reply