Sour Cream Fudge Layer Cake With Chocolate Rum Frosting
photo by Linky
- Ready In:
- 2⁄3 cup strong coffee
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum or 1/2 cup Kahlua
- 1 cup regular sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons dark rum or 3 tablespoons Kahlua
- 1 -2 tablespoon sour cream or 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Two 9 inch round pans; line bottoms with parchment paper. Butter pans well and dust with cocoa powder; shake out excess.
- Combine coffee with chocolate in large glass bowl and microwave on high 1-2 min until very hot and chocolate has melted.
- Whisk in rum until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Place sour cream in smaller bowl and add soda and salt, stir.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Beat in 1/2 flour, 1/2 sour cream; repeat. Make a smooth batter.
- Spread evenly in prepared pans.
- Bake on middle rack for 35-40 minutes or until cake feels firm in the centre and the edges begin to pull away from the sides.
- Cool on racks for 5 minutes, turn out onto wire racks to cool.
- Cakes can be plastic wrapped and frozen for 1 month at this stage or continue on with frosting.
- Sift sugar and cocoa into a large bowl.
- Beat in butter and rum, start at low speed, until smooth.
- Beat in enough milk or sour cream to make a spreadable frosting.
- Frost top of one cake, then top with other cake. Frost sides and then the top of the cake. Decorate with chocolate curls or raspberries or eat it just as it is!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I hijacked the rum frosting in this recipe for a zucchini chocolate cake. The frosting is amazing. I used three generous tablespoons at rum, and at first found it overwhelming, but after a few hours the frosting mellowed and it was just perfect. I look forward to an opportunity to try it with this cake as well.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love cooking and trying new recipes. <br> <br>I am a displaced Bluenoser. <br> <br>My husband Gilad, is my best friend and my soulmate. We do most everything together. <br> <br>Our daughter Tiffany, is now 21 and has been living on her own for 4 years now. That makes us empty nesters, WOO HOO! <br> <br>Besides mucking about in the kitchen, I also enjoy mucking about in the garden and reading while lounging on the swing. <br> <br>Our cat, Muffins provides much entertainment as do most felines! <br> <br>I try to start and end each day with at least 3 (sometimes that's a tough one) things that I am grateful for. No matter how hard life seems, I know I have it easy compared to so many others. <br> <br>B'Shalom, <br>Annie